There are many countries in the world that have resorted to the construction of Affordable Housing to cater for the large population of low income earners. As a result, alternative building materials and methods have been adopted to effectively and efficiently accomplish such projects.
What do you think about Affordable Housing in Nigeria?
It is known that the major challenges facing Affordable Housing in Nigeria are due to the following reasons:
- Cumbersome and High cost of land authentication processes.
- High cost of land owing to the high cost of land authentication processes.
- High cost of building materials.
- High cost of transportation of building materials to construction site.
- Lengthy duration in the construction of houses.
- Shortage of adequate mortgage facilities.
- High interest rates on loans for construction of housing.
If some, if not all, of these alternative building materials and methods for affordable housing can be adopted, it can aid in solving most of the housing challenges we face Nigeria.
Accordingly, there are a few alternative building materials and methods we will address.
These are like joining pieces of a Lego Bricks together. Each brick has a projection and depression on opposite side so that they fit into each other when assembled. They also have holes to reduce the weight of the bricks and for added stability by inserting steel rods for reinforcement. Lastly, the length of the bricks are twice the width for accurate alignment.
Benefits of Interlocking Bricks in home construction
- Materials for the production of Interlocking Bricks are locally available and can be produced on the site, thereby eliminating transportation cost.
- They save considerable amount of time when compared to conventional methods of construction.
- They reduce cost of construction because high volume of mortar (cement) is not needed compared to conventional methods of construction where mortar (cement) is used for fasten joints of blocks
- Due to the simplicity in laying of the bricks, the number of highly skilled masons is reduced.
These are off-site prefabricated buildings that consist of multiple sections called modules .They are constructed in facilities and transported to site for assembling. They are made of Lumber or Fibre-Cement Sandwich Panels.
Benefits of Modular Home Construction
- It is economical based on the cost of material and labour
- It is fast to assemble since it involves putting the different sections together. Also it will aid in quicker return of income.
- They are durable and require low maintenance, if any.
- They can easily be modified.
- The can be erected on light foundations due to their weight.
Benefits of Bamboo in home construction
- They are cheap due to availability and are not produced like other building materials
- They are light and can be used in constructing houses on light foundations
- Construction of a bamboo house can take days to complete
With all said, these are alternative building materials which can be used to construct affordable housing in Nigeria based on their cost effectiveness of about 30-50% of conventional materials and methods, time saving such that it takes days to complete construction and simplicity in nature because they do not require high numbers of highly skilled masons.